Through SAN, the American Sociological Association will facilitate partnerships between not-for-profit organizations that need technical expertise and sociologists who want to help. The process will involve the following steps:
- Potential volunteers and organizations complete our on-line registration forms.
- The ASA Staff Liaison will receive, process, and review requests for and offers from volunteers.
- The ASA Staff Liaison, in collaboration with the Advisory Board, will work with eligible, reputable requesting organizations to discuss the scope of work.
- Where a match looks possible, ASA Staff Liaison will arrange for a telephone interview with the prospective volunteer to determine actual suitability for the project.
- The SAN Advisory Board and ASA Staff Liaison will seek strong endorsement of three references regarding the volunteer's qualifications, experience, integrity, and judgment.
- Upon receiving these recommendations, the ASA Staff Liaison will give the sociologist’s CV or resume and contact information to the organization.
- The final decision regarding whether a placement will take place rests with the hosting organization and the sociologist.
- ASA will provide a generic independent contractor agreement that partners can use if they believe it will be helpful.
- Volunteers and organizations are encouraged to carefully review the SAN policies and expectations.